Sunday, November 13, 2011

He is my Yahweh-nissi

I haven't written because I've been consumed with planning a workshop... also, I haven't known what to write.  I feel like I'm learning SO much, being stretched so thin, having no time, and being transformed in so many ways.... it makes it hard to figure out how to put everything into words.

I guess the thing that I am delighting in MOST right now is the Names of God!!! They are so powerful and I can't wait to dive into knowing more about them and teaching what He's revealing to me to others. The name that is what I am calling out to my Dad now is Jehovah-Nissi!! I literally means "The Lord is my banner!" The Lord is my victory!!!!! AHH!! I love it! He invites and encourages me to look, to see, and to do a victory dance!!!!



Here's the  passage it came from:
 8 While the people of Israel were still at Rephidim, the warriors of Amalek attacked them. 9 Moses commanded Joshua, “Choose some men to go out and fight the army of Amalek for us. Tomorrow, I will stand at the top of the hill, holding the staff of God in my hand.”
 10 So Joshua did what Moses had commanded and fought the army of Amalek. Meanwhile, Moses, Aaron, and Hur climbed to the top of a nearby hill. 11 As long as Moses held up the staff in his hand, the Israelites had the advantage. But whenever he dropped his hand, the Amalekites gained the advantage. 12 Moses’ arms soon became so tired he could no longer hold them up. So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him to sit on. Then they stood on each side of Moses, holding up his hands. So his hands held steady until sunset. 13 As a result, Joshua overwhelmed the army of Amalek in battle.
 14 After the victory, the Lord instructed Moses, “Write this down on a scroll as a permanent reminder, and read it aloud to Joshua: I will erase the memory of Amalek from under heaven.” 15 Moses built an altar there and named it Yahweh-nissi (which means “the Lord is my banner”). 16 He said, “They have raised their fist against the Lord’s throne, so now[a] the Lord will be at war with Amalek generation after generation.”
Exodus 17:8-16 

This is so awesome. The Israelites were attacked (as Satan so often attacks the followers of Christ). Moses was commanded to hold up the staff of God to achieve VICTORY!!! So... VICTORY comes in OBEDIENCE. Often times, we expect God to save us from our sins, to destroy all our temptation, to defeat our enemies, etc. just when we ask... HE CAN... but most of the time He wants our hearts and our lives to be surrendered in obedience so that He can bring victory to us and glory to Himself through our dependence and desperate need for HIM!  
Also, Moses didn't/couldn't do what was commanded alone.  He became tired. Worn out. Exhausted. Discouraged. He needed support. He needs others. He needed accountability and love.  We do too. In our obedience... we need each other. We need the church. I need people. Even when it's messy and the sins are not the easy ones to share. He beckons us to deep transparency and open-ness so that He can use He bride to bring VICTORY.  

THEN... because of obedience and community VICTORY is given and glory is God's!!! He tells Israel that the Amalekites have been defeated UTTERLY!!!!! They will be FORGOTTEN!!! Then... he calls them to REMEMBER - to not forget what he's done and the victory they experienced!

We need to do the same! We need to claim VICTORY in HIM!!! He can do it! He will do it!! He can defeat any sin, attitude, enemy, doubt! HE WILL! And He has!!!! He invited me to remember and be joyful. To trust and pray. To know that He is for me, not against me.  He wants my life, my marriage, our church, our community, and our world to experience VICTORY in Him!!!! How AWESOME!!!

I am messy, but I have a Savior how invites me and my messiness to VICTORY in Him.

HOW GREAT!!

I will praise my Yahweh-Nissi!!! 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home