Friday, June 24, 2011

A thorn???? Um... still a little confused

This week's Brave topic was:


I am suffering a thorn


okay.


Paul talked about suffering a thorn in 2 corinthians. He begged for God to remove it... didn't happen because God was teaching and revealing to Paul that HE is sufficient in WEAKNESS!! 



Angela acknowledges that some women will be perplexed (good work huh?) about this subject... YEP! 


She describes a thorn as someone, something, a sin, etc that is constantly there and causes pain, doubt, discouragement CONSISTENTLY. 


I thought and thought and thought... and OF COURSE I have issues. Yes, people get on my nerves sometimes. Yes, there are relationships in my life that aren't good. Yes, I am insecure but that doesn't control me. but... a thorn?? Not sure.  There is ONE thing in my life currently that causes pain and doubt and trouble - not gonna explain any details about this... maybe one day - so as I went through the study I applied the material to that one thing.  I don't know if it is "correct," but it's what happened. :)


Angela really emphasized a few things

  • A thorn cannot be removed by your own power 
  • The originator of the thorn is SATAN
  • A thorn torments the soul with pain and doubt
  • A thorn weaves discouragement into your heart
  • The piercing of a thorn produces weakness
  • God decides when to remove a thorn
I don't know if you are experiencing a THORN... you can definitely tell me about it if you are! But, the most important things I took from this week relates to the result of a thorn when you give it to God - 

His GRACE is Sufficient!!! Hooray!! 
God promises over and over in His Word that He works for the GOOD! He uses evil for GOOD. His grace is seen in our weakness and in our submission to Him.  Whatever is in your past or your present or your future that is "bad" GOD WILL MAKE IT SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL - just like a rose in the midst of the thorns!!! 


The reason God allowed Paul to experience the "thorn in his flesh" was to keep him from becoming CONCEITED.  God CALLS us to humility!!!!! 

This is soo cool: Humility is a part of the character of God! 
Psalm 113:
1 Praise the Lord!
   Yes, give praise, O servants of the Lord.
      Praise the name of the L
ord!
 
2 Blessed be the name of the Lord
      now and forever.
 
3 Everywhere—from east to west—
      praise the name of the L
ord.
 
4 For the Lord is high above the nations;
      his glory is higher than the heavens.

 5 Who can be compared with the Lord our God,
      who is enthroned on high?
 
6 He stoops to look down
      on heaven and on earth...



The LORD STOOPS DOWN! He humbles Himself to know us. To love us. WOW!!! Cool, huh??? He calls us to be humble so we can be more like Him. 


Throughout the Old Testament God promises HONOR to the humble (Proverbs 15:33, 18:12, 29:23).


Those who have humility:
Are regarded by God (Isaiah 66:2)
Are delivered by God (Job 22:29)
Are lifted up by God (James 4:10)
Are exalted by God (Luke 14:11)
Are the greatest in God's kingdom (Matthew 18:4)
Receive more grace (Proverbs 3:34)
Are upheld by honor (proverbs 18:12)
and my favorite....

ENJOY THE PRESENCE OF GOD 
The high and lofty one who lives in eternity,
      the Holy One, says this:
   “I live in the high and holy place
      with those whose spirits are contrite and humble.
   
I restore the crushed spirit of the humble
      and
revive the courage of those with repentant hearts.
Isaiah 57:15


I love the words RESTORE and REVIVE and I need them daily.  We all need courage and we all need His presence.




Humility finds its origin in the character of God.  God adds blessgings to the humble.  Acceptance of our circumstances gives us humility.  WE are to put on this valuable attribute and wear our humility to bring GLORY TO GOD.


God is all-powerful and when He brings power to your weakness, BUCKLE UP. You will see mountains move and hearts of stone made new.


This is so true. In the thing I decided was my thorn - I claimed God was who He says He is and I claimed that He is powerful and I prayed and I trusted and I have seen VICTORY! 
That has been a word that I have cherished over the past year... V.I.C.T.O.R.Y.
Victory over sin, over doubt, over fear, over shame brings beauty, glory, honestly, goodness, and restoration. 


I pray for whatever your thorn or situation is that you will see victory and healing and that HE IS SUFFICIENT. HE IS ENOUGH. HE IS GOOD. 


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home