Friday, March 9, 2012

serving and being served...

So this was the scene in our youth room on Wednesday night... 

This was all that was set up... no other chairs... no ping pong table... just this... 2 charis... and 2 basins of water. Kids were confused and, of course, asked lots of questions. It's funny because they beg for something different but are scared of the change. I guess we all are. 

My hubby is pretty awesome... and Jesus is way more awesome. Jesus gave my hubby the idea that we should wash every youth's feet... not just to wash their nasty feet... but to show them in a real way that they are loved, they we long to serve them, and that a Jesus follower is called to serve... period.  To show and remind and tell them that they are CLEAN because of Jesus. They are forgiven. They are FREE!! What a message I need to hear each day so that I could live in a way that showed I BELIEVE I am CLEAN!!! :)

Jesus said in John 13:
14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. 16 I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. 17 Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.

So, that's what we did.  I don't necessarily think this means we have to wash people's feet... but that are hearts are humbled to serve... always.  But, my hubby and Jesus had a vision and plan to wash the youth's feet. So thankful that my husband invites me to be a part of his visions and plans and allow me to bless and be blessed.  We had 58 youth there on Wednesday... ha... and we watched every foot. Please know that this is not about Jacob or me... only Jesus... but it was such a cool night I can't NOT share it! I had the amazing honor of washing the girls' feet while Jacob cleaned the boys feet.  

I had the privilege to pray of each girl that sat in that chair!! OH... what a joy! I got to speak TRUTH into their ears from Jesus. I got to proclaim over them that they are loved, they are beautiful, they don't have to conform, that they are FORGIVEN. I got to pray for girls that have taught me so much. Pray over girls who are going through chaos right now. Pray over girls who are learning and growing in Jesus so much.  I got to pray over girls that I don't know as well and tell them, one-on-one that I love them and that I love for them to KNOW JESUS! All.. just a joy. 

I remember when my youth pastor washed our feet and allowed us to wash others feet.  Jacob actually asked me the other day when and how and why I trusted and looked up to my youth pastor the way I did.  There are two times that stick out to me... that showed me the kind of man my youth pastor was/is and why I respected him and followed his lead. One was the day he promised me, a 7th grade nerdy hysterically little girl, that he would pray for my daddy's salvation (and he still does). The other was the night at a beach retreat that my youth pastor, Ernie (great youth pastor name, huh?) washed our feet and allowed us to see more of his servant heart. 

After I finished washing all the girls' feet... they asked if they could offer their gifts and wash mine. OH man... I'm getting teary thinking about it.  The girls... that I love so much... gathered about me... washed my feet (hairy legs and all), prayed over me, and loved on me. Sometimes it's so good to be needy... to be served... to just sit, CLEAN, and be loved on. It was a moment that I won't forget... I'll cherish it. The guys did the same for Jacob... and it blessed my heart. Jacob loves and prays and invests in these kids. He serves with everything he knows how... and I know his heart rested in the act of being served, too. 

If I could wash each of your feet, I would. I think it is such a special, symbolic act. But, I can't... because I'm here and you are there. So... 

Be reminded... that if you love Jesus.... you are CLEAN. you are FORGIVEN. and you are so loved! you have been washed with Jesus' blood and you are SAVED! Hooray! :) 



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home