Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Fav!!

So this week has been CRAZY busy!! At work my boss team leader is leaving (not fun) and we are hiring 2 NEW faculty and school starts next week and I am interpreting all day yesterday and today!!! My brain is CRAZY!!

But... onto to Friday Favs!! Today I would like to tell the world about my favorite song.  I will give you some background first.  You see... I was a dance team member on the University of Alabama at Birmingham's GOLDEN GIRLS!!
This is us at Nationals in Daytona Beach, FL!! I loved my team and the friendships that were made through dance team.  I loved performing at football and basketball games, traveling to compete, and just dancing!!! It was good.  There was one thing involved with dance team I HATED... we all HATED. It was body fat testing!!!! SO DUMB!! Yes, I understand you don't wanna stick a bunch of fatties in mid-drifts on the court jiggling around but really - body fat testing??? And people wonder why girls have body image problems!
So... I really struggled ALOT with this.  I actually "failed" a test once - failing means to have over 17.5% body fat... even thought the average women has 20-23% body fat!!!  CRAZINESS!! I got so tired of people telling me what i should look like, how to dress, who I AM!!! I was fed up.
I went to a Barlowgirl concert and got a HOLY SLAP IN THE FACE with this song - "Mirror" - I think it should be the theme song for Jesus-following girls PERIOD.  My mirror is my relationship with Christ - not a scale, mirror, or someone else's opinions/expectations/body fat tests.  Listen to the words - especially you WOMEN!!! :) HE MAKES US BEAUTIFUL!! I know that sounds corny and cliche, but all of us need daily reminders of where our worth and beauty and joy come from - our NEW reflection.



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At August 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM , Blogger Shalita said...

What an AWESOME song! I will definitely be purchasing this song to play at the studio LOTS!!

BTW, the whole time I was listening I was doing choreography in my head! :)

Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home